Why would I outsource something that everyone and their mother says I can do it myself? Isn’t it a waste of money when I can just go to a website building tool and do it?
Yes, it’s true – you can go build your own site at a variety of locations. I’ll even provide you with their names, if you would like – but before you jump onto that bandwagon, here’s a few things you should be aware of:
- “Free” is never really free – when they provide you with a free domain name, that’s only for the first year. Also, who really owns that domain name?
- What happens if the site goes down for some reason? Even Amazon & Netflix crash once in a while. Google had a huge outage in 2020! Are you sure that data won’t be lost?
- You’re crammed onto a server with potentially hundreds of other sites just like yours. Each one of those sites is on the same hard-drive. A virus on ANY ONE of those websites could infect your site. Who are your neighbors?
- Are you ready to learn an entirely new piece of software, even if it’s easy to use?
- What happens when it’s time to migrate your site to a bigger solution? A lot of those “do-it-yourself” solutions will not allow you to integrate with your specific vendor. Even if you don’t have them now, do you plan to grow?
Ok – enough pedantic nonsense, I could go on forever about the pains I’ve had migrating clients from their “awesome” self site to a website that allows you to do what you need to do. What matters most is – will it attract and present your business the way you want to be presented? This is your first impression – make it count!